Saturday, December 31, 2016

New Year's Eve 2016





Year's end 
and I've been thinking of Yeat's poem 
"The Second Coming" 
and the final lines: 

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

But I keep hearing this instead:

...Slouches towards Washington to be born...


*

Recently I found a file of miscellaneous poems in my computer. 
Last week, I posted one written on the Solstice, 
2012.
But I also found one from New Year's Eve, 
2011.

Here it is:  



New Year’s Eve


   A lone black mullein stalk in a snow field.

Dipped in tallow it becomes a torch.

The past, an illusion. And yet here it is, all around:

Shadows of standing stones.

I close my eyes. Leftover oak leaves rustle.

When I open my eyes, white pines have risen from the earth.






Happy New Year!



*************

Meanwhile

 
has a call-list from magazines that are doing versions of 
NOT MY PRESIDENT issues.

See below:

"Post-Election Calls for Submissions:

While this list will remain static, calls for submissions related to the election will be regularly posted and updated in the Art/Writing section of Entropy’s Trumpwatch."

Anti-Heroin Chic / Deadline: January 20, 2017 / Poetry, Fiction, Nonfiction, Visual Art
Banango Street – Issue 13: Respond / Now / Poetry, Fiction, Nonfiction, Translations
Cleaver Magazine – Life As Activism / Now / Fiction, Flash Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry
Gravel – Trumped Up Blog / Now / Nonfiction, Poetry, Flash Fiction, Art
Heavy Feather Review – #NotMyPresident / Year-Round / Fiction, Poetry, Nonfiction, Journalism, Comics, Hybrids
Mizna – Surviving the Rhetoric: Arabs & Muslims as Villains, Again / Deadline: February 28, 2017 / Prose, Poetry
Mount Analogue / Now / Political Pamphlets
Rise Up Review / Now / Poetry
States of the Union / Deadline: January 27, 2017 / Nonfiction, Fiction, Poetry, Art
Us For President  / Now / Poetry, Prose, Art, Spoken Word


NYC



No comments:

Post a Comment